Clark Cable Corporation
Located in Cleveland, Ohio and formed in 1946, Clark Cable Corporation was a manufacturer of various automotive electrical accessories that were sold to a wide range of suppliers within the automobile industry. The company acquired Proof Machine & Brass Foundry at its inception, and this began a long series of future acquisitions and diversifications that complemented and extended the reach of the work being done at Clark Cable.
In its early years, the company moved several times. It began life on East 72nd street, then moving to Berea Road for just two years, and finally moving to West 32nd street, its home for the remainder of its duration as a company. During the early-mid 1950s, Clark Cable formed relations with the US military, and supplied various parts to them.
Clark Cable Corporation, in its later years known as Clark Consolidated Industries, was purchased by Wilcox & Gibbs, and its doors were closed in 1989. See Chronology.
About the Collection
This collection of photographs, donated by former Clark Cable President, William Beckenbach, consists largely of the work that Clark Cable focused on most, the manufacturing and assembly of wire harnesses. Some of the subsidiary branches, though by no means all, are also well represented, including: Proof Machine & Brass Foundry (later Proof Industries), Test Institute Co., and Swift Wheel Manufacturing Co.
The collection offers a look into the growth and transformation of a small business in Cleveland, Ohio as well as a view into the work environment of employees that was greatly undergoing change as well. Especially during its earlier years, one can see the changing of work conditions, as well as an increase in the number of African-American and women employees.
For Further Reading:
- Automotive Industry - from The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
- A Chronology of Clark Consolidated Industries
- Electrical and Electronics Industries - from The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
Credits and Appreciation:
Our thanks to Cleveland Memory volunteer, Zachary Hay for his work on this project.